|Karl Schmidt was born in Rottluff,
today a district of Chemnitz, (Saxony), and began to call himself
Schmidt-Rottluff in 1905.
On 7 June 1905, the group of artists known as Die Brücke
("the bridge") was created by the architecture students
Schmidt-Rottluff, Ernst Ludwig Kirchner, Fritz Bleyl and Erich
Heckel in Dresden. In November 1905, the first exhibition of Die
Brücke opened in Leipzig. The group later dissolved in 1913.
In 1937, 608 of Schmidt-Rottluff's paintings were seized from
museums by the Nazis and several of them shown in exhibitions
of "degenerate art" ("Entartete Kunst"). In
1947, Schmidt-Rottluff was appointed a professor at the University
of Arts in Berlin-Charlottenburg. He was a prolific printmaker,
with 300 woodcuts, 105 lithographs, 70 etchings, and 78 commercial
described in the Rosa Schapire Catalogue raisonné. He
died in Berlin in 1976.
Russian Forest, 1918 (1920)
woodcut on wove paper, not signed. For the edition
"die Schaffenden" II Year 1920. 19,8 to 25,8 cm (31 to 41
cm). Schapire 229; Söhn 72707-10.